When it comes to decorating a kids’ room, one of the toughest features to choose is a lighting fixture. After all, most of them are designed for other types of living spaces, and until recent years, it was all but impossible to find lighting fixtures that are designed specifically for kids’ rooms. Now, there are all kinds of cool options, including ceiling fans that are just for kids. These have some really cool designs, and not only will they look great in your kids’ rooms, they will also help to keep the air circulated, as well as providing light.
Choosing the right ceiling fan for your kids’ rooms can be difficult, because there are so many styles to choose from these days. With this in mind, we have decided to review some of the most popular ceiling fans for kids’ rooms, so you can get a better idea of just what is out there. Let’s take a look at our top five list of the best kids’ ceiling fans.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Best Children’s Ceiling Fan Comparison Table
- 2 Kids Ceiling Fan Reviews
- 3 Westinghouse Roundabout 30-Inch Brushed Nickel Indoor Ceiling Fan
- 4 Craftmade Kids Tiger Shark Warplane With Light 48-Inch
- 5 Hunter Fan Company Discovery Ceiling Fan, 48 Inch Brushed Nickel
- 6 Prominence Home Elsa White & Pink Ceiling Fan – 48 Inch
- 7 Lighting Groups 42 Inch Retractable Pirate / Ship Steering Wheel Ceiling Fan
- 8 Conclusion
Best Children’s Ceiling Fan Comparison Table
Kids Ceiling Fan Reviews
The Westinghouse roundabout ceiling fan is ideal for boys’ and girls’ rooms. It has a brushed nickel finish, and it comes with a light kit that features opal frosted glass. It provides plenty of light for reading and homework, and it can circulate air for up to 80 square feet. The silicon steel motor has dual capacitor with three fan speeds, and a reverse switch so the fan can be used year-round.
This is actually a two-light ceiling fan, so your kids can’t say that they don’t have enough light for doing their homework (another excuse out the window). It is small, with just a 30-inch blade span, and there are five blades to circulate the air in the room and provide a cool breeze in the summer and warmth throughout the winter. Some of the features of this ceiling fan include:
- Size – This may be a small fan, but it is perfect to use in a kids’ room, which in most cases tends to be smaller than other bedrooms. It has five reversible blades with a 30-inch span, and it provides plenty of air circulation.
- Appearance – This is an attractively designed ceiling fan with two lights. The blades are reversible, with one side having a neutral white finish, and the other being a mix of fun, bright colors. The motor has a brushed nickel appearance.
- Bright Light – This ceiling fan gives off plenty of light. It has an integrated light fixture that blends perfectly with the overall design, and provides more than enough light for any purpose, including reading, homework, and arts and crafts.
- Energy Efficiency – This ceiling fan from Westinghouse features an energy efficient motor, and the motor is backed by a lifetime guarantee. There is also a two-year warranty on all other parts, so you know you are getting a quality, safe ceiling fan that you can trust.
- Summer and Winter Modes – This ceiling fan is for both summer and winter use. In the summer, run the fan counterclockwise to create a cool breeze and lower air conditioning costs. Make sure the winter ceiling fan direction is run clockwise to distribute warm air that rises to the ceiling.
- Great for Low Ceilings – Because this is a smaller ceiling fan, not only is it ideal for smaller rooms, it is also perfect for rooms with low ceilings. You have the option to install it with a flush mount, or with a down-rod mount for higher ceilings.
- Wobbling – Some users say that the blades wobble when the fan is in use, no matter which speed they are using but we would advise them to check that the fan has been assembled correctly, otherwise to return the fan for a replacement.
The Craftmade Tiger Shark is perfect for any child’s room. If your kids are into aviation and planes, they will absolutely adore this ceiling fan, which looks like an old-fashioned airplane. I mean, who wouldn’t love ceiling fans that look like airplane propellers?! It is bright and colorful, and it will provide plenty of light for reading, studying, and a whole lot more. This is definitely a great kids ceiling fan.
One of the best features about this ceiling fan, besides how cool it looks, is the quiet motor. This means that you can run it in your kids’ rooms all night long, and it isn’t going to disturb their sleep. The motor is quiet, and the blades will move smoothly and quietly through the air while providing plenty of air circulation. Features include:
- Lighting – Custom cased white glass integrated light kit that includes one B10 60 watt candelabra frosted bulb that gives out 615 lumens.
- Great for Low Ceilings – This is a small ceiling fan with a low profile housing, making it ideal for rooms with low ceilings. It is designed to sit flush with the ceiling, and comes with a flush mount that is easy to install.
- Appearance – This is the perfect ceiling fan to have in a kids’ room, and not just because of the bright blade colors. This is like having a miniature airplane right in their room, and it is as much fun to look at as it is to use. Think about the imaginative tales they can come up with that incorporate this lighting fixture.
- 3 Speed – Controlled by a pull chain that lets you choose between 3 speeds.
- Energy Efficiency – This ceiling fan light has a number of energy-saving features that are going to help keep your home heating and cooling costs down. These features include a motor made from high-quality silicon steel that has a better electromagnetic effect, and reversible blades.
- Quiet – Even if your kids need to run this ceiling fan throughout the night, it is quiet enough that it isn’t going to prevent them from falling asleep, and it isn’t going to wake them up. They will just enjoy a gentle breeze.
- Light not so bright – Some people feel the light could be brighter, however there’s an easy fix for that, simply purchase a new, more powerful LED bulb.
The Hunter Fan Company Discovery ceiling fan is perfect for any kids room. With space themed blades that feature rockets and stars and a light bowl featuring the earth that lights up when the light is on – what’s not to like?
The Hunter Discovery fan is has many features making it a great all-round ceiling fan. From a hard wearing brushed nickel housing that keeps the reversible motor safe to the 5 space themed blades and affordable price. What’s not to love?
- 3 Mounting Options – This fan comes with 3 different mounting options depending on the type of ceiling you have. Standard, low or angled which means it’s truly versatile.
- Motor – The motor has three speeds, and it is reversible.That means it will be useful all year round. Circulating cool air in the summer and warm air in the winter. The speed is controlled by the pull chain.
- Quiet Operation – Hunter Fan Company features some of the quietest ceiling fans thanks to their WhisperWind motor, so you don’t have to worry that your kids will get distracted by the noise.
- Versatile – With the different mounting options available, you don’t have to worry about where it’s going to go. There’s bound to be a mounting option that works for you.
- Appearance – Let’s face it, it looks amazing, especially when lit up. Some users even changed the bulb to a blue colored one to add to the space theme.
- Pull Chain – Some people find this annoying that it doesn’t have a remote, but honestly for the price, it’s not much bother to pull a chain!
The Prominence Home Elsa ceiling fan is the perfect fan for any lovers of pink. A gorgeous combination of pink blades and white fan housing. Not only that, the lights have lovely matching chandelier style lamp shades to add that extra touch.
If you want a different shade of pink, you can turn the blades over which are dusty rose patterned on one side and pink on the other side. Change it up to suit your taste! The three chandelier light shades (with added beads) cover up the E26/ B10 bulbs that emit 450 lumens. More features include:
- Quiet & reversible motor – Not only is the motor on the Prominence Home Elsa ceiling fan quiet, it’s also reversible too, meaning you can make good use of it in the winter to help distribute warm air around the room.
- 3 speed – With the use of a pull chain, you can easily set the fan to your desired speed.
- Medium size rooms – With a blade span of 48 inches, this fan is perfect for medium sized rooms (300-350 square feet), so great for bedrooms and playrooms alike.
- Tri-mount compatible – The mounting options for this fan are really versatile. With 3 hanging options, there will be a solution that’s right for you. Hang this ceiling fan with a down rod, angled/sloped (up to 23 degrees) or close-mount.
- Appearance – Admittedly, it won’t be to everyone’s taste, but for those that love a bit of pink this ceiling fan is a real winner.
- More crystals – Some people feel that Prominence Home could have added a few more crystals to really set the style off.
I think this is our favorite kids ceiling fan on the list. Overflowing with amazing features and extremely cool, all kids are going to love this pirate / nautical themed fan.
This crystal ceiling really does have almost every feature on it that you could need from retractable blades that can be set on a timer, light kit (color temperature changing) and remote controlled. Features include:
- Light Kit – The Lighting Groups nautical themed fan not only has a light, it has an LED light that can be changed to 3 different temperatures (bright, neutral and warm).
- Motor & Timer – Not only is the motor super quiet it also has 3 speeds so you can set the fan to your desired speed. One of our favorite features of this ceiling fan is the timer that can be set for 2, 4 or 8 hours, so you don’t have to worry about returning home and the fan being on all day.
(Read more about whether ceiling fans can overheat).
- Retractable blades – When the ceiling fan is switched off, the blades retract back and virtually hide themselves leaving just the steering wheel shape light. As soon as you turn the fan on the 4 clear acrylic blades pull out automatically.
- Two down-rods included – You’ve got a choice of two down rods here (4.7 & 9.8 inch), so you’ve got options depending on the height of your ceiling.
- Appearance – Perfect for kids bedrooms or playrooms (to be honest I would have it in any room!) It’s colorful and bright, sure to put a smile on anyones face that see’s it.
- None – Just like us, it seems everyone loves this fan!
Perhaps you’re looking to upgrade the ceiling fan in your room? If so, take a look at our guide on the best bedroom ceiling fans.
If you want to have a fan in your kids’ rooms, but you don’t like the dangerous aspects of using table and floor fans, a ceiling fan is a great option. Not only is it going to help circulate the air in kids’ rooms, it is also going to provide the light they need for studying, reading, playing games, and more. Any of the ceiling fans that we have discussed today will be great for kids’ rooms, and some are specific for boys or girls (but can be used by both, depending on what they really like the most).